Saturday, September 15, 2012

Appreciating David

David? Who the fly is David? No, not Beckham nor Bain.

David, son of Jesse, the shepherd kid who could sing like an angel, slay a giant with a slingshot, become king of Israel and Judah, steal another man's wife and kill him (just in cases), and all in one lifetime.

Although endorsed by God himself as a man after His own heart, David was not one of my favourite people in the Bible. I never forgave him about the whole Bathsheba saga. (Coz you know, I was there and all and it deeply affected me).

Anyway, I was reading that story again today and I don't know if I had just forgotten or always skipped over the part immediately after David's "momentary indiscretion" (as K.Stew put it), but ... David's child dies. Despite David's repentance, fasting and praying, his child dies as a result of his sin.

David's response to the news of the death was to arise from the ground, where he was prostrate before the LORD; he "washed and anointed himself, and changed his clothes; and he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped." And not until that was done did he eat.

Amaze to the days.

What a stuff up. What a massive consequence to pay. What a comeback.

There is hope for me still. (Not that I've stolen my neighbour's wife or anything, though)

No comments: