When we decided to move from Auckland to Wellington earlier this year, I was quite excited. I had big ideas of how my lifestyle would change, how I would become "artsy", how I would work less and take things slow, how when asked about the weather in Welly I would chirpily reply "You can't beat Wellington on a good day!"
Four months down the line, and I realise that I haven't progressed much down the planned route. In fact, I can't really remember all that I thought I would be doing by now. I mean, I'm awake working/blogging/Facebooking at 12:30am. That's still very much the Aucklander me.
So after a quick memory job (really quick, like half a minute) here are my unfulfilled Wellington goals:
1. Buy clothes - How I am still squeezing into my pre-childbearing work clothes I do not know. Actually, I do. I can only do that for a couple of tops which were really loose fitting and are now tank top looking. I'm getting grossed out just thinking about it as well, don't worry, I'm not offended that you are.
2. Go to the museum - I mean, isn't that what artsy Wellingtonians do? I have no idea. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
3. Spend more time at the park with Lyla - My excuse is the cold wind, which is quite a legitimate reason, except for the really warm sunny days when quality family time still consists of me on my laptop, husband on his laptop, toddler watching TV.
4. Sleep at least 7 hours a day - Ha! Funny, how did this make it onto my list.
5. Save money - How do you go from a single income family to being a double income family and still not have money? It boggles the mind. One day when I decide to look through our bank statements I might be able to find some answers.
6. Join a life group - This is due to 100% slackness and a multitude of excuses (which I can't remember now, so don't ask). But I guess I will have to get a life first, then I can share it with others.
7. Shave my legs regularly - I reconsidered this goal, and then realised that since I never show my legs/tree trunks anyway AND it's freezing cold here, why should I?
8. Buy a Smart phone - So it's got nothing to do with Wellington, but I want one, and I don't have any other lists at the moment so here it is. I guess it's related to goal #5 which was supposed to feed into my shopping account.
9. Stop having road rage - Is there special road rage counselling? I drive like I'm in a mad rush to get somewhere really quickly that I'm late for. The majority of the time if I stop to think about it, I'm just driving to work. Why on earth am I nearly killing myself to get there? Then I'm driving home, where washing, cooking, cleaning and more work is waiting. Again, why the rush? Still working on it. So if you're late to go when the light turns green, when you give way to more than one person while you're in front of me, if you switch lanes unexpectedly without indicating, if you don't merge like a zip, or if you keep going through the intersection and then stop midway because the other side is all queued up and you block me going the other way and I miss my green light - if you do any of those things and you get beeps and glares and hands waving in the air and fingers pointing to the head (translated as "use your brain") from a brown female someone in a black Mazda wagon...there's a good chance that would be me. I'm a work in progress.
Those are only a few that I can remember and have the energy to list. Maybe I'll think of some more later. Or maybe not.
Same old me