Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Life

I'm sitting in my little office crying. Yesterday, one of my husband's classmates, also a good friend's cousin, passed away suddenly from some illness.

I don't know much of the details surrounding his death, but I have been given an insight into his life by his Facebook wall, which has been flooded with hundreds of deeply personal messages.

Shock. Sorrow. Disbelief.


I owed you lunch and now you're gone. I was going to buy you duty free on my way back home. Tell me it isn't true. Why did you leave so soon? Words can't describe the pain that this news has brought. What you said, and how you said it, inspired me. Life will never be the same without you. No words but sorrow.

So many friends, classmates, work colleagues and family members that were touched by someone who has been described simply as a "genuinely good guy". As one message put it, "if your family can read it, they will know how loved you were". And the messages continue to pour in.

I never personally knew this guy, yet I am touched at the impact his life had on other people that I know, and I feel and mourn his loss. Or not really his loss, for he is now at peace, but the loss of a little bit of goodness from this world.

No comments: